Blog Archive

Thursday 23 February 2012

Bag making. My first one!

I have wanted to make bags for a long time. I have not done this before, so decided to experiment a bit on ready made bags first!


I bought 4 brown canvas tote bags. My plan was to improve them, both in terms of looks and usefulness. What I mean by usefulness, is pockets and storage. I hate having to rummage through a bag to find anything. I am a naturally organised person, so I like to know where things are!


So here goes.....!  My first plain brown bag......



I added a lining all around the top ( inside) using a thick cream fabric. This is actually curtain fabric, so is very durable.  I then made a pocket, for the inside which I lined with a brown floral print.


I sewed the pocket in to two sections, and attached it inside the bag.


Now for the outside..... Using the same two fabrics, I made a large pocket , which I prettied up with some shiny brown trim. This was attached to the front of the bag. It has one large section at the back, and the front floral bit is divided in to two smaller sections. So there is plenty of room for all your bits and pieces.


I also added a key ring clip to the inside, Something all bags should have, in my opinion.



So, that is the first bag completed. Each one will be different. I have started the second one, and will do another post about my bags in a few days time.


One day I hope to make the complete bag. However, this is a step in the right direction!



No comments:

Post a Comment