Blog Archive

Sunday 18 March 2012

Red geranium doodle painting

I have a painting in my house that started life as a doodle. I was sat in the conservatory looking at a red geranium plant, and decided to sketch a bit of it. I prefer to draw in black fine-liner, than pencil, so this is how it started out. It was only going to be a couple of flowers but it ended up covering a whole sheet of paper.


I then coloured in the flowers with some red paint, and went over the edges again with the fine-liner pen. I realised that the negative shapes between the flowers looked interesting, so just doodled some completely random shapes all over until I had filled it up.


I then used a mixture of normal and pearlescent paint to fill up the background spaces.Followed by the fine-liner over the top, keeping it loose and not too precise.


Here is the final result.....



Here are a couple of close ups, that show you it really is a sketchy doodle painting. This is not fine art, but it seems to work, and I quite like the finished result. Sometimes paintings that you do not plan are the best ones. They just seem to grow as the mood takes you!



Here it is in a frame..



No comments:

Post a Comment