Blog Archive

Friday 16 March 2012

Contemporary Textiles fair in London

Last weekend I went to a fabulous contemporary textiles fair. This was at the Landmark Arts Centre in Teddington. For those that know, its actually just outside of London! For those that read this blog from other places around the world, you might as well call it London. Its only about 45 mins drive from me, and an added bonus is that my eldest daughter, Kathy, also lives in Teddington.


Anyway, I was really impressed, and inspired, by most of the work I saw displayed up there. I would really like to exhibit there myself next year. That is certainly an aim of mine!


I only took a few photos... as most exhibitors gave me a card for their website, which gives images of all their work. I needed to take some photos as a souvenir and recording of my visit though!  So these only show a small sample of the wide range of textile work that was on display. I will not put any names to these pictures, because I can't remember them all, and some of my favourites I did not take photos of.


There was some stunning floral batik paintings, some creative mixed media embroidery, some interesting reworking of fabrics, some amazing weaving, bag making, cushion making,as well as masses of unique clothing items. 


Here are a few photos......


Firstly the batik ....







As someone who paints a lot of flowers, I was particularly taken with these. I have done batik in the past, and also attempted to teach it ( ! ), but my results have been totally amateur compared to this very talented lady.


Here are a few odds and ends, all amazing in their own ways....






The baby shoes below are just sooo cute. There was a whole series of these ( different creatures, colours etc)



There were some tall embroidered panels. here are a couple I really liked....


And just a few more that caught my eye. some clever use of materials and stitching here...








No comments:

Post a Comment