Blog Archive

Saturday 10 March 2012

Photography. A study of poppies.

When I was teaching Photography, a few years ago, a plant study was one of the things I set my students to do. To be honest, a lot of them lost interest, because this needs plenty of time to be effective. 


It probably needs about 6 months......and now is about the right time to start this project.


You need to study a plant over its growth cycle. You need to watch it grow from nothing, flower and then decay. It needs imagination to capture the plant in its many moods. You need to have a mixture of different lighting (times of day) , different angles, close ups, various sections, backgrounds  etc to make it of photographic value.


I took about 200 photos of poppies in my back garden to show people the idea. Obviously I am not going to put that many on this blog, but here is a selection......  From early spring growth, through to the amazing colours of summer flowering, and finally autumnal  decay.























No comments:

Post a Comment