Blog Archive

Saturday 14 April 2012

Painted garden pots

I decided to paint some garden pots up..... to celebrate spring!

Firstly I found some terracotta  pots and covered them with their first coat of paint. These are proper ceramic pots, not the cheapy plastic versions!  I used a mixture of tile paint and acrylic. Mixed to a ratio of about 3 to 1.


I then gave them another coat of paint, so you could no longer see the terracotta colour through the paint. Next, I added a third coat in a slightly lighter shade. I added this when the second coat was still wet and brushed them together to give a mottled appearance. this was more noticable on the blue pots than the yellow.

I put some crackle glaze around the tops of the pots and left them to dry.

I then mixed up a terracotta paint and put it on the rim of the pots. As this dried the crackle effect came through. Having the terracotta at the top blended the paintwork in with the natural colour of the pot...but with the added interest of the crackle!





You can see the mottled paint effect on these two pots.

I then decided the yellow based pots looked awful , and painted them the same bluey green as the other ones. 

I then used a punch to cut out some flower shapes. I just used thin pale pink paper, and some in yellow paper. I added a centre dot of a contrasting colour. I stuck them on with PVA glue, making sure they were well stuck on, with no bits loose.


I stuck 4 on to each pot.



I then put 3 layers of matte varnish on to the pots. allowing about 30 mins ( or more) drying time between each layer. This is essential to make them weather and waterproof.

Here is the yellow crackle top version.

I decided to add a few rings of string at the top, as a decorative feature.


I took these to a craft fair today and sold all, but 2 of them. So they were a success. I shall have to make some more, with a slightly different colour scheme. Maybe tropical, with really bright colours, and lots of flowers!!  

Obviously that's another blog post, when I get around to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment