Blog Archive

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Adding fabric flowers to cushions.

I made some green cushions a few months ago. They were made from layers of material and wool,  bound together using an embellisher. The top layer was made from organza to keep all the other layers together and neat. They were then finished with some top stitching across the surface using embroidery stitches on the machine.

The finished result was this


A close up detail to show the techniques used


The cushions did not sell, so I thought they might need a bit of extra detail to improve them. I decided to add some fabric flowers.

I cut up some small pieces of fabric in colours that blended with the cushion, and I ironed on some fusible fabric interfacing to give them extra strength and stop the fabric fraying.


I then used my Sissix Bigshot with a flower die to cut out some fabric flower shapes.



I put the flower parts together to form a selection of layered flowers.


I sewed the flowers on to the cushions by hand. I tried several different positions, but decided clustered in one corner looked the best.



I felt they needed something more so I then added one more smaller flower underneath the larger ones, to give  a bit of variety, and they were finished!



This is a very easy technique, and could also be used on ready made plain cushions to enhance them. You could do the flowers all over, or lay them out in a pattern. You could vary the sizes, fabrics and colours a lot, to get really different results.  I shall do some more and show you the results on a later blog post.

Comments always appreciated....

No comments:

Post a Comment