Blog Archive

Tuesday 11 June 2013

Painting of tulips. Step by step.

My last post showed some photos of tulips I took in my back garden. I decided to do a painting based on some of the photos as I was inspired by the shapes and the vibrant colours.

Here is the final painting. It is a bright study that looks at the interaction of shapes, as well as the negative spaces between the flowers. I have exaggerated the colours and the light and shade contrasts. This will eventually be used as a greetings card design.



Here is how I created the painting. You may want to look at the photos on my last post as well here!
Initially I drew out some outlines. trying to get a good balance of shapes to fill a square canvas.



I then added a wash of colour over the background to make the flower shapes stand out more. This was just some purple ink I had leftover from another project. The ink ran a bit, and was messy...but at this stage it did not matter!




I then blocked in, , some of the basic colours I would be using, to get a rough feel of the idea. It looks very basic and simplistic at this point. This was mainly to check the composition worked.



Next I worked a bit more in to the background colours, using unmixed colours, to strengthen the design. I am using acrylic paint.



I then started to play about with the background shapes, creating simple swirls and areas of colour.  I also added some extra colour to the tulips. I have introduced some pink areas, and started to block in areas of petal detail.



After this I continued to work more in to the flowers and the background. I am starting to work with smaller dabs of paint, which is my usual style! I am now doing the detail with Chromacolour paint, which is a type of liquid acrylic.



This is working toward the final painting now. I am adjusting colours and adding finer detail. I have made more green and turquoise dots in the background. I have put more yellow back in to the flowers.




Here, again, is the final painting. I have refined the detailing, using more layers of fine lines and dots of paint. The colours have been adjusted a bit more, working in to areas of light and shade.




I shall put this up for sale soon. I will add the details here when I do so.

What do you think??   Comments always appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. You have a very original and beautiful style of painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another of your wonderful flower paintings. Lovely stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this painting up for sale? Will you do it as prints and cards? I have bought your other floral cards in a shop near me. I will buy some more from your Etsy online shop. This is my favourite so far and I would love to see more of your amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments! I am so glad you like my paintings and have bought my greetings cards.
    I will get this design printed up as greetings cards. However, I always send my designs to the printers in batches of 4 at a time.They need to be the same format. This is a square design , so I need to do 3 more square ones before they can be printed. Most of my other cards are 5 x 7 inches rectangular
    However, I will put this up as a print on Etsy as soon as I have purchased some square mount boards.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say about the sale of the painting!! I will sell it, but not just yet. I want to keep a good selection of my work for an exhibition. I also want to join the society of Floral artists, so need to keep a few back to show them.

      When I sell it, it will be through Etsy. I am closing down my Minigallery account as so little has sold through them.

      Delete
  5. Just an awesome painting !!!

    ReplyDelete