Blog Archive

Thursday 9 January 2014

ACEO sized paintings of cats.

I recently opened a new online shop on Etsy. This is called rozartz and is to focus on my art. I will be selling my ACEO paintings, greetings cards, prints, original art and probably some other art related things! 

I have only just opened the shop so there is not much on there yet.   I have started by featuring some of my ACEO cats, which have sold well previously on my eBay store. My shop can be found by clicking here 


Remember ACEO art is very small. The paintings are only 2 and a half by 3 and a half inches in size. 


Despite being so small there is still a lot of work in an ACEO painting. My paintings are very detailed as I like to make them realistic. It probably takes me about 2 hours to do one of these. Sometimes a bit more ..!


Most of the paintings are based on my own beloved cats. My cats are all Maine Coons. I have four of them.


I work from photos and from just looking at my cats. They will rarely sit still long enough for me to work from life though. There is usually one of them in my studio, at any time. My silver tabby, Pepper, probably has the record for doing the most damage!! He will knock over water pots and walk through wet work!! 


I like to do close ups of cats faces. I like to try and catch their character and mood. When you are working on such a small scale, it is actually easier to do a close up rather than try and fit in the entire head. I do both though, as customers like different things.


I sometimes work in landscape format and sometimes portrait. I don't have a favourite way of working. It just depends on the pose of the portrait.  The one , above, is based on my only female cat, Brandy.


I sometimes re do a painting that has been popular. It will never be exactly the same as the previous one. The ginger cat one, above, was done before. Sometimes I copy a previous one, but change the colours and markings a little bit. 


I have re done this ginger cat, based on a previous painting, although changed the background to a deep blue. I much prefer the close up, though, to the whole head painting. Both of these are based on my ginger called Tequila. 


This one is based on a kitten we almost bought. It was done from a few photos we took on the visit.


This one, of Pepper, is a really good likeness of him. he is such a lovable friendly cat. He likes to pose for the camers, so I have hundreds of pictures of him.


My beautiful black and white cat, Cocoa, He is Peppers brother. They will be 3 years old this month. Cocoa is the largest, and heaviest of my cats. The size of these cats is the reason I choose Maine Coons! I could never go back to regular small sized moggies after having these giants!


All these are available to buy  in my Etsy shop. You will be buying originals. Later on I shall put together some packs of prints, based on the most popular ones. 

My shop can be found by clicking  here

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment