Blog Archive

Saturday 18 July 2015

Art in Action 2015

I visited Art in Action yesterday. This is an annual arts event held at Waterperry gardens in Oxfordshire.

I have visited the show many times since it opened. As a painter I am a bit disappointed in the fact there seems to be less painting every year.  It is more arts than art these days!  There are plenty of craft displays and musical events, Even beekeeping and storytelling ! Plus you will never go hungry with a massive amount of the show now devoted to food stalls!! The most popular, with the longest queue was the vegetarian one...which is good from my point of view as a life long veggie!

I have taken a few photos of the Art I particularly liked at the show. This is mainly coloured pencils, painted pieces and art textiles.This is not representative of the whole show at all though. I really liked some of the ceramics and printmaking displays but have not photographed them. Some of the glass work was amazing too.

This is a beautifully detailed coloured pencil piece by Malcolm Cudmore  ( click here for a link to his website) which was on display at the stand for coloured pencils in the art materials and publications tent. There is some very intricate and well designed work on display, and for sale on this stand. 

A favourite of mine, by artist Este McLeod. Wonderful colours and composition.!!


Some clever, intricate mosaic work by Amy Harman.

There is a tent devoted to Textiles. I was very impressed by this art textiles painting. Lots of layers of different fabrics and stitching all tangled together to give a very pleasing garden effect.


Another textiles piece. This one attracted me by the impressive feeling of light the artist has captured.

This one is to be found in the Calligraphy and Illustration tent. Shelly Perkins was my favourite artist here with her incredibly detailed studies of animals and nature.

Two paintings I liked for their strength of colour.
A selection of paintings by Lucie Shelbourne. Once again I am attracted to the strong use of bright colours. Its not surprising as all my own paintings are big bright bold colours too!

I love all floral and wildlife art so my favourite part of the show is usually the Nature in Art section. I particularly like the demonstration side of this area with plenty of artists actively engaged in painting, and happy to talk about their work.

So its worth visiting the show. The weather was kind yesterday, I have visited before when heavy rain turned the entire site in to a slippery bog, I have also been when it was so hot that inside all the tents was like an unpleasant sauna !

I am considering applying to be a demonstrator here next year, with my floral art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment