Blog Archive

Wednesday 21 December 2011

Art/Textile experiments book. Part 1

I have a very thick sketchbook that I have filled with art and textile "experiments".
This book is not quite full, but it is impossible to close.




I will show you a few pages from my book, in a minute.

I simply layer up colours, textures and fabrics. There is no meaning to any of this, and certainly no planning. The pages just develop over time. What I am aiming for is inspiration, that I can use in my work, whether it is a painting, or one of my cushion covers.

I add a range of acrylic mediums, and other textures to the paint. This could be sand or salt.  I rip, cut and distress the paper. I use a heat gun to melt and distort the fabric. I layer things up. I mix embroidery with paintings. I print on paper, or fabric, and then sew through the surface. I use felt and wool. which I play with on an embellisher. I just see what I can do with a whole range of materials, then I find ways to put them together.

Often these experiments are done at the end of a painting or sewing session. I use up the end of my paint or fabric scraps, rather than waste them.

Each page can take months to complete. I always have about 10 pages unfinished at any one time.

Anyway, that's enough of me talking! Have a look at a few pages now , and I will put a few more up soon.  Part 2, part 3 and so on.......





I find the book useful and just pleasurable to look at. It has inspired me many times already, and probably will continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment