Blog Archive

Thursday 19 January 2012

Painting. The structure of trees.

I have always been fascinated by the shapes of trees. Although I hate the winter, I do like the fact that at this time of year you don't lose all the branch shapes under foliage. I like the way the branches break up the sky and the view behind. It's the negative shapes and patterns that I am drawn to so much! You can have trees right across the foreground of your painting, yet still see everything beyond. 

Here is one I did a couple of years ago. This one is all about pattern and repeating shapes. This is for sale on Mini Gallery

This painting is called Morning, and is painted with textured acrylics on canvas.

I love some paintings by Mondrian that are about tree structures. Here are two of his that are particularly good.


   The Red Tree


I can't remember the name of this one!

Both these paintings have beautiful structural shapes and texture. Your eyes are drawn in to the branches. The second one has superb light and shade in the spaces between the branches. 

Here is another one of mine. Not winter trees this time, but burnt trees instead. This was based on  photos I took in Australia. It is called Outback and is also for sale on Mini Gallery

I painted this in acrylics. The colours are very bright, but that is exactly how the scenery is in the Red Centre around Uluru and Alice Springs. The ground is a deep red, the sky vivid blue and a lot of the trees are black and white where they have been charred and burnt. 



I painted this in acrylics, over a textured surface. I applied heavy acrylic medium, then scratched dots and lines in to it, to create texture. After painting all the main colours I added areas of pastel to pick out the rugged surface. This was sealed in with clear matt varnish.

Here is a close up, to show the texture.















1 comment: