Blog Archive

Sunday 19 February 2012

Inspiration from rock structures, part 2

My previous post on this theme has proved to be very popular, so I thought I would share a few more of my rock paintings with you.


The following two are inspired by rock strata and water. I find turquoise blue to be really vibrant against ochres and terracottas. The colours were made for each other!
Both these paintings have a lot of surface texture built up with tissue paper, and PVA glue. When I added the colours I mixed sand and PVA glue in to the paint. I have made a feature of drybrushing to enhance the textures. I have exaggerated this by painting into cracks and crevices, to show shadow and depth. I have used a small amount of  pearlescent paint to capture light areas.





The painting below is called "Flotsam" due to it reminding me of the things washed up on a beach. It was not intended to be this though. It was inspired by some photos of rocks I had taken on a beach in Greece. I added the areas of hessian to break up the surface and give a focal point. I also did this because it made this painting different from previous ones I had done.



 The next painting is called "Flow". I have taken the hessian idea a stage further. It now covers the entire canvas! However I have lost bits of it with thick textured paint, or with tissue paper and paint overlay.


I still have other rock pics so will probably get around to part 3 of this feature one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment