Blog Archive

Friday 20 April 2012

My old paintings. Part 1

Since having the studio built on the side of the house, I have been having a massive clear out and re-organisation of all my art stuff. I have been finding paintings I did many, many years ago, that I had virtually forgotten about! 


So I thought I would do a few blogs about my old stuff.


Firstly here is a picture I painted probably over 20 years ago. This is of Langstone Harbour, which is the last bit of mainland before you cross the bridge to Hayling Island.   I grew up on Hayling Island, so saw this view all the time.  This painting was done as a secret birthday present for my Mum. I asked my Dad to go out and take me a load of photos of the view, so I could  do a painting from them. This was long before digital photography, of course, so he posted the photos to me. I was living in Swindon at the time, as I had a teaching job just outside of Swindon ( Purton ). 


I did the painting in watercolours on heavy grained paper. I used a very fine Rotring pen to draw all the texture and detail back in to the work. As it was low tide all the mud and seaweed was on show. Far more interesting than just water!! I probably painted highlights back in to it, where the pen had made it too dark. My favourite bit is where the buildings are reflected in the pools of water. I also like the dull moody grey colours. I haven't tried to pretty it up too much ,with a bright blue sky.






I also found some paintings I did of  Gran Canaria. These must be about 20 years old as well. We went on holiday there when my 2 daughters were very young. 


These were painted from photographs, back in England. I expect they were of one view with things added or taken away to make a better composition, I really can't remember!  


They are done in gouache, possibly with some watercolour mixed in. I have used pencil crayon to add a top layer of texture in places. I still like these paintings. I do not think my basic style of painting has changed that much. I still paint like this today, with lots of small blobs of paint overlaid until I get the colour balance and texture right.




No comments:

Post a Comment