Blog Archive

Saturday 22 December 2012

Pattern design using rubber stamps, collage and Photoshop.

I recently did a post about designing background paper for cardmaking.  I thought I would have another go and design some more patterns. This time my aim is to design something that would look good printed as a fabric. 

I started out by choosing a suitable rubber stamp. This stamp is called Quint Essential Flower, and is by Stampin Up.

I then stamped this all over a pink painted page, in my sketchbook.


I stamped directly on the page with blue ink as well. I then did some pink ones, and blue ones on pale green and pale blue card. These I stuck on to the top. Some of them I reduced in size or cut the centres out. The flower shapes are easy to cut out because they have matching punches ( also by Stampin Up ) , so cutting them out is really easy!!


Next I stamped a few smaller flower shaped patterns in the gaps. I added a layer of pale green and pale blue punched out flower shapes over the top.
I then photographed the results and put the image in to Photoshop where I cropped it to size.

I then repeated the design into a row.

The next stage was to produce several repeat rows of this. Every other row was turned 180 degrees. I then staggered the rows, like bricks, to break up the image further.


The whole design was repeated again. It is now quite complex, and a long way from where it started out!!

I then repeated it again, changing the colour of every other panel.

I increased the number of panels again. Next I overlaid the original design, and merged the two images together using the blending modes.

My aim was to produce a fabric design. I felt this was a little too bright, so I used the curves tool to alter some of the values of the colours.


I am quite pleased with this. I will try and find some time to print it on to fabric. I will then use the sewing machine to embroider some coordinating shapes through it, plus edge some of the existing shapes in contrasting colours. I think the final result would make a fantastic cushion cover.

So hopefully, one day there will be another post where I show you the finished cushion cover!!!


Comments always appreciated!!


No comments:

Post a Comment