Blog Archive

Tuesday 15 April 2014

RHS London Orchid and Botanical Art Show

I visited the RHS London  Orchid and Botanical Art Show on Saturday. I love to look at botanical art. The level of detail and accuracy always amazes me. A lot of my own Art is floral, but I never attempt to get the level of realism that these artists achieve!! I also rarely use watercolour which seems to be the main medium used.
 I was really impressed by the technical skill these artists have. However, I do find the style of botanical art a bit limiting at times. It is virtually always on a white background. The subject is usually placed centrally, floating in the space. Some is done life-sized which means you can barely see some of the small detail.  I always think of these paintings as the" science of Art". The artist just records accurately what they see.  There is nothing wrong with that, and all Art is important, and has its place. 
 However, some are starting to break away from this traditional formula. I prefer the ones who take the subject matter to the edge and crop it down a bit. I also prefer the ones that enlarge the plant or vegetable so you can really see the structure and colours.

I took masses of photos, so these are just a small selection of the ones in the show. 



This one is truly amazing, so here are a couple of close ups, so you can really see the detail.




I like the way the painting tells you so much about the plant.







I also liked these pencil studies of sweetcorn , by artist Jane Fisher.


Not everything is about flowers!  What a fantastic study of a cabbage, and a lettuce.




After the art show, we went in to the orchid exhibition.  I am starting to collect orchids, so this was paradise for me!!  I also took lots of photos for inspiration for new paintings.


No comments:

Post a Comment