Blog Archive

Saturday 31 December 2011

Step by step. Palm tree painting.

I took some photos of the base of a palm tree. I liked the tangle of shapes, and though they could be the starting point for a painting. The photos were taken in the garden of our holiday apartment in Stoupa in Greece. It was quite a while before I actually did turn the idea in to a painting, though. I am still wondering whether or not I have completely finished it? 


These are the photos that inspired me.



I painted this with acrylics, on a medium sized canvas. I did not do any drawing. I went straight in with the colours!  This is how the painting took shape......

I shall put the next few stages in slightly larger photos, as there is more detail. I have started to add texture, and more areas of foliage. I have changed some of the colours.

What do you think?  Maybe I could work this one a bit more?

Some ideas.......

1. I could make it more pattern-like by changing some of the negative( background) spaces.
2. I could increase the contrast to make the shapes stand out more.
3. I could build up the texture, by adding some acrylic mediums to the paint.
4. I could introduce more yellow, to brighten the foreground.
5. I could add more thin foliage, to break up some of the larger shapes.
6. Or maybe something else???

Please let me know what you think is best for this painting, and I will do some more work on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment