Blog Archive

Monday 2 January 2012

Cushion. Using an embellisher.

I have decided to give a plain blue cushion a facelift. I bought the cushion awhile ago. I like it, but  but  it is rather boring!  Here is the cushion and  my cat, Cocoa.




I measured out some blue dotty fabric, about 4cms bigger than the cushion all round. I then did the same with some plain cream  thick cotton. The blue  is only thin cotton, so needs to be backed with another material to make it stronger.  I sprayed on some fabric "glue" which needed a hot iron to fix it. This joined the blue and the cream cottons together.




I found some contrasting material. This is a nice woven fabric, with blues and purples in it. I cut some strips and machine sewed them on to the blue dotty fabric.


I then put the sewing machine away, as I am going to add the detail with an embellisher. I bought my embellisher about a year ago, and cannot imagine how I ever lived without one! It is so quick and easy to use. The one I have, has 12 needles, so it is fairly powerful. 


If you do not have an embellisher, you can still make a very similar cushion to this. However, you would have to use the zig zag stitch on your sewing machine, to attach the wool.


I chose a multi coloured wool that blends in with my fabrics. The embellisher fixes the wool on to the fabric in a similar way to needle felting. You need to go over each section twice to get a really good bond. If you look on the back of the fabric you will see the needles have pushed some of the wool right through. The join is strong, and it is almost impossible to pull the wool off again!




Once I had finished using the embellisher, I pinned the fabric on to my cushion. You need to do the corners first, to make sure it fits evenly.


I then hand sewed the new front on to the cushion. I used an "invisible" thread, made of nylon, because it is strong. Cotton is not always strong enough.


The last detail was to add a few pink buttons.






I am quite pleased with the result. It would be a nice cushion for a young girl's bedroom. I shall try and sell it at my next craft fair.  

No comments:

Post a Comment