Blog Archive

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Patchwork cushions

I recently produced a pair of patchwork cushions. These were popular, and sold at my last craft fair. I shall certainly make some more, in other colours and fabrics.


I made  these by sewing several fabric strips, which ended up about 6cms (or 2 ins) wide, after putting hems on both sides. I did not try to make them all exactly the same size. I think a slight variation in size makes it look more attractive. More home-made, and less mass produced looking! I chose material that had a brown, beige or neutral colour theme, either patterned or plain. I produced 16 of these strips. Most fabrics were used twice.


I then wove the strips together. I secured the ends with pins, so nothing moved too much!


 Before I sewed the panel together, I found some ribbon, and wove that through the design too. I made sure this sat centrally across the strips. As you can see this was not done all over, just here and there.


I then machine sewed the ribbon on to the strips, all the way across. This had the dual function of adding the ribbon, as well as binding the larger strips together.


I then sewed along all the joins, to neaten it up.  For a final touch I added gold thread, by couching with a zig zag stitch. This was done in wavy lines over the whole panel.


Some close up shots.....





I then sewed the panel on to a brown cushion. I did all of this twice, as I made a pair of these!! I actually prefer to make cushions individually, but some customers prefer to buy in pairs. 

1 comment:

  1. There is so much work in your cushions, I would like to have these in my house.

    ReplyDelete