Blog Archive

Sunday 15 January 2012

Inspiration from rock structures

I really love the shapes formed by rocks. I love the layers of colour, the cracks, the shapes formed and the rugged quality of the surface. I have taken hundreds of rock pics in many different places. I love to use ideas from them for paintings. They are naturally abstract in composition. Here are a few photos that have inspired me, and a few paintings based on the idea of rock strata and texture.




The two photos above were taken on holiday in Sicily. The rocks are just layered up, broken and twisted. They are fascinating shapes, enhanced by light and shadows. I probably took about 30 photos here!



The above two photos were taken at the Grand Canyon and Bryce canyon.  This is paradise for someone like me. If you can't take a good rock photo there, well......!  The different colours of the rocks, change during the day as the sun and shadows move across.  The scenery there is awesome and so inspirational. There were a lot of artists sat painting the views. I did not have any art materials with me, or the time, but what a fantastic subject to sit and paint! Wow! 


Here are a few of my rock paintings. I have done loads of these!  I use acrylic paint mixed with various texture mediums. I usually add a crumpled tissue paper layer first.  I also mix sand and glue in to the paint. Sometimes I stick to naturalistic colours, but not always,






I have done so many of these, that I know there will be another post on this subject one day.


I am waiting for my studio to be finished. The flooring is done and the desks are being fitted. It won't be long before I can paint again! Having looked through my rock photos today, to choose some for this blog, I quite fancy doing another one on this theme. 


UPDATE......PART 2 OF THIS ON MY BLOG POST 19th FEB 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment