Blog Archive

Thursday 12 January 2012

Selling paintings

I sold this painting a few weeks ago. It is called Looking Through.




I seem to  attract a lot of attention to my textured abstracts, especially those that are mainly reds and oranges. This one was sold through an online gallery Mini Gallery

I always email customers when I sell online, to check about delivery details, and afterwards to check the painting arrived ok. I usually add a note in with the parcel, and sometimes include a few of my greetings cards as a gift. I think this makes the selling experience personal, and makes the process so much better than buying from a big anonymous company.


The customer who bought this one never answered any of my emails, so my painting has just gone forever, and I will probably never get any feedback. 


To make a living from art, you have to sell it. That is a fact!  However, paintings are really personal things. They are an extension of you, and your thought processes and creativity. You spend so many hours doing them. So many hours changing the colours, the composition and the textures until you get it just right. Usually you are proud of your efforts.  So, lets be honest, it is sometimes difficult to part with them!  I have a few I did, to sell, that I have kept myself and will never part with.


So I accept the fact I have to sell most of them. However, I would say to anyone buying an original  painting, please let the artist know you like the thing you have bought, and that it looks right in the room you have placed it. Or if you bought it as a gift, that the recipient was happy with it. It does not take much effort to email the artist, or send a note to the artist via the gallery. 


Obviously this is just my opinion. I like to know my hard work is appreciated, when I sell an original. I like to know my painting has gone to a good home and is happy !!!!

Its not the same with prints, because hundreds of people can own those, However, original paintings are really special.


Do other artists feel the same? Let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment