Blog Archive

Thursday 9 February 2012

Painting. Textured abstracts.


 Here are two of my textured abstract paintings. They are mainly about colour, shape and texture. I have mixed various techniques ( more about them in a minute) to create a relaxed and flowing composition. They are not intended to "be" anything. Obviously the top one can be compared to water, and the lower one, maybe, to landforms or mountains and clouds.   But that is not what these paintings are about. Infact they could be hung any way up. There is no right way to view them. It could be quite fun to turn them every few months to see them in a different way. This is one of the reasons I so enjoy working on square canvas!


I painted these mainly in acrylic paint. I have created surfaces and textures with a range of mediums. 
I have mixed in sand and PVA glue to create a textured paint. When this was almost dry I roughed up the surface, so it dried that way. I then painted it one colour, and when this was dry, I dry brushed a contrasting colour over the surface, lightly, to pick up all the lumps and bumps!

Another technique was to use crumpled tissue paper, stuck on with watered down PVA underneath the paint.

I added in some areas of gold mesh fabric to the lower painting. I "trapped" the edges underneath textured paint, so they could not be seen, and would not fray.

I used crackle glaze on some sections. I used as much contrast with the colours as I could.

I collaged on some ready made texture paper.

I painted sections in impressionistic dots, building up layer after layer.

I used gesso to build up ridges on the surface. When I had painted over, I enhanced the shadow effect with darker paint.

I put on a layer of one colour, then before it was fully dry I added another contrasting colour. I used the stick end of the paintbrush to swirl the two colours together.

I added ready made texture mediums such as mica flakes, black lava paste and glitter paint. Sometimes I mixed these up.

Here are some close ups to view the techniques used.







This sort of painting is fun to do. You start off with a rough plan in your head, of what you want to do. However, this changes continually, as you work. Also many areas get changed and reworked as you go along. Often this is to correct colours that don't sit well together. 


These paintings are on Mini Gallery if you are interested. there are several more similar ones on there too. Infact, I have a sale on, for Valentines, which runs until Feb 12th ( Sunday ) all my paintings on my website are half price. This is only for a few more days, so you have to be quick !!!






Also don't forget my free give away....free greetings cards


Good luck with that!    Remember it will end when my page views reach 1000. That's about 250 to go, as I write this.






.

No comments:

Post a Comment