Blog Archive

Thursday 14 June 2012

Painting lions and tigers part 2

This is continuing on from my last post, written a couple of days ago. Scroll down, if you missed it!

I have completed another pair of ACEO paintings, on the big cat theme.

Here is my latest painting of a tiger....



The original of this has sold, but you can buy a print on eBay, click here


I really enjoyed doing this one. I think this will make a good greetings card as well. I found the contrasts of colour on the tigers face really interesting to observe. 

Here is my second lion painting.....


The original has sold , but I will make a print available soon.


The colours on the lions face are not so contrasting as the tigers. However, putting his face in partial shade allowed me to make the features stand out more.

I shall return to the big cat theme soon. These are adapted from photos I found. I would rather work from the real thing....well. my photos of the real thing!!   I shall try and visit a zoo to take some of my own pictures, as I feel my work is more authentic this way.

When I went on safari in Botswana  a couple of years ago I did not get many photos of lions. The ones below are the best shots I got. None of these are really suitable for doing a painting from.



I did get masses of photos of elephants. giraffes and zebras. Possibly the source material for some future paintings!!   Watch this space!

My next cat paintings will be of my own beloved Maine Coon cats. I have started several of these, but am also doing some floral paintings as well.  They will be on here when they are completed.


Comments appreciated......



1 comment:

  1. fantastic and interesting. you paint well

    ReplyDelete