Blog Archive

Saturday 23 June 2012

Wet weather paintings!

I went to a very good summer arts fair last weekend. This was situated at the Landmark centre in Teddington, just outside west London. I am hoping to exhibit there next time so went to see what the standard of work was like. Most of it was very good, some was amazing! I have only really taken photos of paintings, as this is my personal area of interest. However, there was a lot of other mediums on display too. Ceramics, jewellery, prints etc.


So here is a selection from the exhibition. I have decided to display a few that relate to the weather. The reason is that it is now the middle of June, and all we are getting week after week is rain and more rain. Sure, England is never going to be desirable for its climate, but it would be nice to have some sunny days when you can get out in the garden, and just feel warm. It would be nice to get in to my summer clothes too!
This was one of my favourite displays.   I just love the abstract qualities of the water. The reflections, the light, the patterns and how you can see beyond them. Very clever stuff!








More British summer here,,,, umbrellas, puddles on the ground, grey skies, dull light. This sums it all up!!


As far as being a piece of artwork, though, this is very striking. Despite the overall greyness the artist has found the contrast of reflections that pull the whole scene together. The image is broken down into wet rainy areas, and then repeated and distorted so you get a lovely double image of the whole wet scene.


Here are two clever textural paintings. Again we have rain in the sky which gives a soft, but dull light to the whole scene. They have a lovely feel about being in a big open space.




I shall do another blog tomorrow, showing some other paintings from this exhibition.


I am now going back to my studio to continue painting one of my bright tropical coloured flower paintings. I love strong bright colours and warm places, so I am unlikely to ever paint anything like the examples I have shown on here!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment