Blog Archive

Monday 15 October 2012

Ideas for craft fairs 1

I have about 20 craft fairs booked up between now and Christmas. This is a really busy time of year for me.  My studio is full of little piles of gifts. that are in various stages of making and packaging.

I am making some Christmas related items, but am also developing my range of craft packs for kids. I suppose this has become my main focus, due to the many years I spent teaching Art. I taught 11 to 18 year old's, but my craft packs are aimed at a younger age range, probably 3 to 9 years mainly. However a lot of adults buy my kits for themselves too!!

One idea I have been enjoying doing recently has been"make it yourself" greetings cards packs. This one is based on an owl.


This is based on a Sissix die. It comes in several bits which you have to assemble. I have cut it out of a wide range of decorative papers, then stuck it on to a coloured greetings card, with a few hearts and flowers added around the edge.

I put one ready made one in each pack, plus a matching envelope. This is pure visual instructions. No written ones are needed!  I then add 3 different colour plain cards, with envelopes. 

In a separate cellophane pack I put all the bits needed to assemble the owls. This has to be in a separate pack, rather than just loose in the main pack. Some of the small bits such as eyes and feet would go missing.  I put a few spare ones in each pack, and make sure there is a good range of colous available, so the  person making it has quite a few options.

I put it all together, then add my header to the pack, which makes it look a bit more "professional". 

I have found these to be a good seller.



This is another popular idea. These are cupcake cards. Each pack has a cupcake shaped card with a  matching envelope. These are really easy shapes to cut out of card, and you can make them quite cheaply. 

I print a few examples on the backing sheet, so kids can get the general idea. I include lots of decorations and a pot of glitter, or a glitter glue pen.

It all goes in a cellophane bag, with the artycraftythings header card attached.


One thing that is important if you design packs for children is that you do not make them too complicated. Feedback I have had from children, and their parents, is that my designs are fun to do with a high success rate. That's good, because they come back for more!




No comments:

Post a Comment